10 March 2014
The community of Freiston were joined by local dignitaries to mark 900 years of cultural history.
St James Church hosted an event to mark 900 years since the founding of a new priory, attended by guests including Mayor and Mayoress of Boston Paul and Pam Kenny and Boston Borough Council leader Peter Bedford.
The priory was founded in a ceremony at Crowland Abbey in 1114. The Norman Baron Alan de Croun and family gave lands and the churches in Freiston, Butterwick, Fishtoft and Burton Pedwardine for the founding of a priory.
More than half of today's Freiston Church includes the nave of the Norman priory project that started 900 years ago.
To leave a legacy for future generations, The Boston Guild of Embroidery decorated four beautiful new altar cloths for the church which were dedicated by the Archdeacon of Boston, the Venerable Dr Justine Allain Chapman.
The cloths show the cross with the scallop emblem of St James in black and gold, a purple cloth of crosses including a crown of thorns emblem, a green cross with a gold cup and a red cloth with a dove over flames.
The Mayor and Council Leader then jointly cut a 900th anniversary cake to celebrate the founding.
The event marked a week of celebrations which included a visit by Year 5 and 6 pupils at Butterwick Primary School to Crowland to re-enact the founding ceremony, pancake races on Shrove Tuesday, a coach party to Crowland for members of the congregation and a Messy Church for children within the local parishes.
Forthcoming events include a pilgrimage walk from Crowland to Freiston on April 12 and 13, a monastic weekend to understand medieval life in the Priory on May 17 and 18 and a grand summer fete on July 20 to mark the festival of St James.
© DofLincoln. All rights are reserved. Web design & development by Nvisage