The role of a treasurer is a very important one. Not only will thousands of pounds flow through the Church’s funds, but the PCC is also an independent charity, and will need to conform to Charity Commission guidance. Appointing a treasurer is a significant step for both the PCC and the individual, and it should be properly thought through. The treasurer does not need to be an accountant – it’s important that a potential treasurer has both the honesty and enthusiasm to want to do the job, and some of the following skills and characteristics would be helpful:
Skills and Characteristics
- Reasonable financially competence, and the ability to maintain a basic accounts book.
- Have an understanding of the parish, its needs and challenges.
- Have a basic understanding of how the parish fits into its wider Deanery, Diocesan and national church contexts.
- Willingness to attend PCC meetings, not only to deal with financial matters, but also in order to be aware of the PCC’s plans.
- Be in harmony with the PCC, the parish priest and the wider church.
- Be able to explain financial issues clearly, both within the PCC and to the general church membership.
- Be able to maintain confidentiality, particularly with respect to matters that relate to individual church members; e.g. their personal giving.
- Meet the wider requirements of the Charity Commissioners for all trustees: i.e. not disqualified by bankruptcy or by convictions for financial wrong doing.
- Although PCC members can be 16 or over, the bank is likely to require someone who is 18 or over. Since the role carries significant responsibility the PCC may also feel that it is appropriate to have someone aged over 18.
Please find below some useful resources and guidance
Support From The Team
The role of a treasurer The role of a treasurer is a very important one. Not…Read more
Wedding and funeral fees Weddings, baptisms and funerals offer the Church precious opportunities to serve the…Read more
GiftAid is the scheme whereby basic rate tax can be reclaimed by registered charities, incluidng PCCs,…Read more
Every year your church is asked to complete returns about membership, attendance, church finances and their…Read more
Generous Living & Giving
The Generous Living Team is here to support you as you seek to resource the work…Read more